Monday, March 31, 2008

Cesar Chaves Day Honors Leader of United Farm Workers

I almost missed this. In eight states today it was Cesar Chaves Day. The founder of the United Farm Workers Union was the inspirational and moral leader in the fight to improve the lives of farm workers and their families and upon which he dedicated his life's work.

Chaves came to represent more then just farm workers but also the entire Chicano community's struggle for respect, equality and dignity.

One of my most prized possessions is a letter from Chaves thanking me for my work in support of the farm worker union movement when I was working for another union as a white collar labor organizer in the early seventies. There is a movement to establish a national Cesar Chaves Holiday. You can sign the petition here. 'Viva la Huelga'

No comments:

Post a Comment