Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Signs of Spring And Natural History On Vashon Island

I captured this photo of what I think is a Red Headed Woodpecker outside my bedroom window this afternoon. (click on image to enlarge) The bird was apparently looking for insects in the tree just a few feet from my window. Perhaps it even has a nest somewhere in the hollow of this weeping birch. The rat-ta-tat-tat of the bird's hammering on the tree drew my attention to it.

Apparently the red headed woodpecker is on the "threatened species" list in the United States due to the destruction of it's habitat with consisted mainly of dead trees and snags that are now regularly harvested for commercial use. We can all imagine other pressure the
species is under trying to exist in this world with pesticides, weed killers and sprawl.

The Postal Service issued a stamp commemorating the bird in 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment