Thursday, September 30, 2010
Saturday, September 25, 2010
One of the panel members turned out to be the son of the Koran burning Florida Pastor. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree as indicated by what he's been indoctrinated to beleive. "Kill all the nonbelievers" he offers us. Aren't the real "terror babies" the home bred right wing-nut kids like this little darling? I can hardly wait until he grows up.
The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, written by a US man, and posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:
Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them. 1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of t two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
Your adoring fan,
James M. Kauffman
Ed.D. Professor Emeritus
Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education
University of Virginia
PS (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian)
Thanks Steven for bringing this to my attention
I’m not a scientist of course nor is this observation very scientific probably, but I have long held the intuitive thought that meat from hormonally and antibiotic filled supercharged corn-fed feed lot cattle has a direct connection to why so many Americans are obese. It’s my personal theory that the use of corn and hormones to fatten cattle is simply pasted on to humans further down the food chain. In other words the process not only fattens the cattle faster but it fattens the humans who consume the meat produced in the unnatural process.
As you can see below 11 of the top meat eating countries are also found among the top countries when it comes to obesity. I think it certainly plausible that there a connection and "you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows"
Top 30 beef eaters:
3. *United States
5. *New Zealand
10. *Czech Republic (Slovenia)
18. *United Kingdom
20. Costa Rica
30. South Africa
* Also listed in top 13 in obesity rates
Top 13 countries by obesity rates:
3. New Zealand
Note: Only Iceland and Chile are not also in the list for the top 30 beef eating counties
Sources: Huffington Post, US census all other countries
Friday, September 24, 2010
Thursday, September 23, 2010
As a resident of Vashon Island I depend on the ferry system. Though not perfect, I commend the ferry system and I feel that Washingtonians should be proud that we operate a marine system that is one of the largest, most efficient and safest in the world. The Washington State ferry system truly creates a “marine highway” for many commuters who depend on it when they live or work in the archipelago of islands that are scattered around the periphery of this state.
Frankly, I’m sick and tired of these news stories from the Times and other local TV media types basically reporting that there’s something wrong when ferry workers or other workers are paid well or have certain protections written into their contract that grant them a livable wage and good working conditions. Most ferry workers I observe are hard working likable people who are just trying to make a decent living.
It seems to me that in this age of union bashing there is a tendency by many people to vilified anyone who belongs to a union simply because their making more then $20 bucks an hour, are given a coffee break or have employer provided health insurance. Maybe these “go it on your own types” who are willing to let their employers exploit them on a daily basis by paying then substandard wages and providing them with poor working conditions and benefits should join a union and demand that they be paid more. But they have been duped, frightened or intimidated into somehow “carrying the employers water” by attacking other working people who presently are lucky and smart enough to belong to a viable labor union.
Generally speaking, I think it is simple jealousy or a form of misdirected rage at unions in most cases. KING TV, who often likes to attack ferry workers compensation, would better serve the public good by reporting excesses and actual crimes by billionaire business types, runaway corporations and banks rather than running so called “investigative reports” attacking ferry engineers or other workers for making too much money working overtime or being paid for their travel expenses, benefits that executives in most companies regularly receive.
Really, I think that someone should do a "report" on the wages and perks that these airhead TV types get paid for spouting the misinformation, nonsense filled infotainment fluff news stories and BS they give us each day. While Rome burns!
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
Monday, September 13, 2010
Saturday, September 11, 2010
I-1098: Raises Money for Health Care and Education
- I-1098 cuts the state property tax by 20%, eliminates B&O taxes for small businesses,and establishes a strictly limited income tax on the wealthiest 1.2% of households.
- It raises $2 billion a year dedicated to education and health care.By law, the first $200,000 ($400,000 for couples) of income is exempt.
- By law, the tax rates or who pays them cannot be changed without a vote of the people.
R-52 (referred by the legislature): For healthy schools
- Many of our aging school buildings are riddled with problems like mold, rusty pipes, and asbestos filled walls, that are interfering with the learning environment.
- R-52 would provide needed funding so that local school districts statewide could retrofit and renovate school buildings so that they are safe and energy efficient.
- Retrofitting and renovation work will create 30,000 good jobs for Washington families, putting people back to work immediately.
I-1053: No to California-Style Gridlock
- I-1053 would allow just 17 legislators to prevent the majority from taking action on a responsible, balanced approach to the budget.
- California has the same two-thirds rule and it has caused a mess of partisan gridlock.
- Special interests like BP and Bank of America are behind I-1053 because they want to keep their tax loopholes and giveaways.
I-1082: No to Insurance Industry Fine Print
- I-1082 was written by the insurance industry, so it’s loaded with fine print that will help Wall Street giants like AIG unfairly profit from our workers’ compensation system.
- It allows private insurers to set their own rates with virtually no oversight.
- I-1082 will cost state and local governments $250 million over the next five years.
- Small businesses would be left to pay skyrocketing rates after insurance companies had cherry-picked large and less risky businesses.
I-1100/1105: No these Risky Deregulation of Liquor Schemes
- Because the corporations who want to sell liquor wrote these initiatives, I-1100/1105 are too risky and go too far.
- Washington would become the most unregulated state in the nation for liquor sales.
- Every gas station, mini-mart and convenience store would be allowed to sell hard liquor near schools, parks and in high crime areas until 2 am.
- I-1100 will cost our state and local governments $275 million over five years and I-1105 will cost more than $700 million. That means more cuts to services like education, health care, police and firefighters.
- I-1107 would repeal the small, mostly temporary tax on non-essential items like soda pop, candy, bottled water and gum.
- It’s worth a few cents more for a can of soda to raise more that $100 million per year to fund schools, health care and services for seniors and kids.
- The American Beverage Association the national lobbying arm of the big soda companies is behind 1107 and they are running a highly deceptive campaign.
- Don’t be fooled there is no food tax in Washington. Soda pop and candy are not food.
- Too much sugar, which many of these beverage contain, can cause health issues, especially for children.
Friday, September 10, 2010
I always love that special moment when a bullshit news story turns to a story about the media's handling of the bullshit news story.
Thursday, September 09, 2010
Oh shit maybe that's the problem?
Every time I hear Dino Rossi in that goofy TV add talking about working as a janitor or busboy at the Space Needle I want to burn something. Someone sent me some bullshit filled lying sack of shit Rossi Campaign Materials in the mail. To show my anger for having to listen to him lie his big business ass kissing face off through both sides of his mouth on the TV and also for increasing my junk mail I'm going to burn his campaign shit in the good old 50 gallon drum in the front yard on Saturday. Don't try and stop me.
This after only two years of a new Presidency. At least let the guy find out where the bodies are buried. Progressives apparently forgot how the hell the separation of powers thing works.
It isn't the President you pussies. In case you haven't noticed he just saved the economy from a depression and passed a historic health care bill. It's the fucking dumb-shit Republican Party and their nubile progeny the batshit-crazy, bible thumping, sexually suppressed tea party white trash. Better get off your ass and get your disgruntled fellow intellectuals off theirs and get them out to vote for Democrats in November our your going straight to political hell come January. Did you think changing this was going to be done in one election cycle you selfish little brats?
Now shut the fuck up and listen to the President as he lays into the old nut-bar angry white guy's party. He talks about building things with "sweat and effort". He not talking about sweat and effort like in your spinning class though. So turn that misplaced anger in the right direction and allow yourself to get freaking mad as hell and go out and dropkick some tea bag ass.
Wednesday, September 08, 2010
Tuesday, September 07, 2010
We can't seem to move on into the future?
It's hard to listen to the high pitched whining coming from the media concerning this massive and apparently effective use of general strikes by workers in France and England. Workers protesting government austerity measure mainly aimed at cutting working class pension benefits and safety net social programs.
Meanwhile in America nothing to see here so just keep moving along. Have we become a nation of ignorant white trash half-baked tea party nuts and fancy pants progressives who rather wax on ad nauseam just to hear ourselves talk. It’s hard to believe that these mainly race based dido heads and tea party types are about to take over the levers of power in the US Congress according to the polls and prognosticators. Without so much as a whimper, it seems, from any progressive entity in this country. Un-fucking-believable!
Have we actually entered the Orwellian world of no is yes, war is peace.
Meanwhile most liberals are completely happy to jump on the Obama snob-fest bashing freaking bus. This man is not perfect and we certainly had our expectations rather high, but he has made significant progress in a number of key areas.
These strikes in Europe should be spreading around the world as far as I’m concerned. It may be a cry for help or a last stand against how sick and tired thinking middle class people are in some places after having their wages cut, pensions reduced, healthcare denied, working conditions lowered, and lives decimated through economic trickery by their corporate controlled governments. Who happily spend millions on war and billions on banks bailouts, but have no real relief for things ailing the middle class. The corporate controlled mainstream media tools rant about selfish overpaid union members and poor disrupted commuters. The really sad thing is most ignorant and uninspired Americans buy into this corporate controlled media bullshit machine message completely. Damn you for making twenty dollars and hour and wanting a pension.
The protesting strikers in Europe are of course a totally different breed from the biblically bullshit driven right wing tea party nuts in the good old USA, who'd have a hard time telling Saul Alinsky from Monica Lewinsky really. The workers in Europe value the solidarity they have with other workers and they stand up for their fellow workers as well as for social justice and programs that protect and enrich the middle class. They’re smart enough and conscious enough to recognize the real enemy. It isn’t Socialism or Muslims wanting to practice freedom of speech. It’s the BP's, Lehman Brothers, the greed driven corporations of the world and the unethical politicians who support them?
Viva la huelga!