Monday, April 07, 2008

Whoopee I’m A Congressional District Caucus Obama Alternate Delegate!

I was elected a Carpenter precinct delegate back in February from Vashon Island and went to Saturday’s 34th Legislative District Caucus at West Seattle High hoping to grab more power by running for election as a delegate to the King County Convention and the 7th Congressional District Caucus. I did pretty well. I garnered enough nomination cards (189) to place 4th in the male category delegate race of something like 50 people. I was beat out by a couple of cute baby faced high school kids who had half their High school classmates working the room for votes with them and just one other friendly fellow.

I apparently didn’t do so well though when it came to giving a 30 second speech the purpose of which was to convince the remaining caucus participants, who didn’t have a personal connection to one of the nominees or next best favorite thing was watching paint dry, that I should be elected a delegate rather then a alternate.

Truth is I never took 30 seconds to say anything in my life. I also was a bit nervous and had to be one of the first to speak. Something Hillary complained about too. I also was wearing a hat that probably made me look much too gregarious for some of the more strait laced party hacks. I think it all worked against me. I ended up being the 4th alternate delegate. But I’m happy being an alternate or anything, because it keeps me alive for a possible trip to THE convention in Denver.

As you know I’m an ardent Obama supporter who even when to Texas to work on his campaign there in the wilds of East Texas after doing work in my own neighborhood on of Vashon Island. Now I’m planning to go to Oregon, once I get my marching orders from Obama, and do some work there registering voters for the upcoming Oregon primary.

I've been so moved by the candidacy of Barack Obama it’s intoxicating. I’m like lots of people who are just sick and tired of the path this country has been on for way to long. I told myself that I wasn’t going to sit on the sidelines this time. One of my big selling points with rank and file Democrats at the 34th District caucus I think was that I would not be influenced by pressure to somehow switch my vote if I actually go to Denver. I think that my volunteer work in Texas and here on Vashon Island and my trip to Oregon to work for Barack there, demonstrates to people that I’m dedicated and mean business.

I also think it’s important that I’m not the typical party insider or hack who’s usually has the skids greased when it comes to getting elected to go on to the National Convention. I think we need more of my type. The iconoclastic independent minded sort. We need some new blood at the top. God knows, the ones that have been running the show don’t have too much to shout about do they?

I think the 34th District Democrats did do a excellent job getting people involved with the party. But after working in East Texas canvassing redneck neighborhoods for Obama I see that what we have here in Seattle is a blessing compared to the crap I saw down there.

I'm hoping that delegates and alternates to the 7th Congressional District Caucus will find it in their hearts to vote for me to become a delegate to the National Convention. Here is a little about me. See you at the King County Convention next Sunday and at the 7th Congressional District Caucus on May 17th.
  • Will be a loyal and unwavering Obama Supporter at LD Convention and beyond
  • Volunteered on Obama Campaign on Vashon Island
  • Volunteered to work on Obama Campaign in Texas, traveling there at his own expense.
  • Traveled to Oregon to work on voter registration for Obama Campaign
  • Retired Civil Servant, law clerk, veteran, labor official, small business owner, newspaper publisher, and performing artist
  • Not tied to Democratic Party insiders or out of date party dogma
  • Washington State Native
  • Integrity, and ability to see any tasks through to successful completion
  • It would be a honor to represent you as a delegate at the in Denver
Daniel O'Brien
Obama Alternate Delegate
Vashon, WA


3 comments:

  1. I also think it’s important that I’m not the typical party insider or hack who’s usually has the skids greased when it comes to getting elected to go on to the National Convention. I think we need more of my type. The iconoclastic independent minded sort. We need some new blood at the top

    so true!

    hope it comes through for you Daniel!

    best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support ct. Tell any caucus delegate freinds you may know to support me please.

    ReplyDelete